Monday, April 23, 2012

Blondie in the Pool


Blondie in the Pool

You may wonder why my blog is called Blondie in the Water. Obviously, my name plays a part but also it is because of my love of water. For the first time in my life I find myself somewhere far from the ocean and for that matter any really nice big body of water.  As a tonic for my soul I’m reliving some of my fond water memories with this blog and creating new ones in my novel that I hope to have out this winter. My novel, Stealing Time, is about a blondie who gets herself in a lot of hot water in the middle of the worst hurricane season in Florida’s history. See my blog Blondie in the River for a small sample of one of her more harrowing water adventures and Blondie in the Hurricane for the prologue.

Maybe I was a mermaid in my last life . . .

My heaven is being in the water. Pool, hot tub, ocean, lake, river, bay, water park I don’t really care. I love the way it makes me feel. The contrast of the hot sun on my skin and the cool water caressing my body is pure bliss. I love the soundlessness of being underwater while watching the sunlight bounce around like lightening in the night sky. The water supports me, lifts my spirit, washes away my worries, soothes my hurts, and purifies my soul.


I could look at this all day!

                                                          
During my childhood I spent every possible second in the neighborhood pool during the summer. My girlfriends and I would plan our entire day around when the pool opened and closed. They enjoyed swimming and sunning, but not in the same way that I did. I would flit along the bottom of the pool marveling at the shimmering sunlight in constant movement before me.

They were all fine until I began my swimnastics routine.


I made up new ways to practice my gymnastics routine underwater and not without my friends begging me to stop because the cute lifeguard was in the chair. “Ah ma Gawd KJ, you so totally have to stop. He’s looking at us.” They’d say. I’d think, yea he’s looking at us because he wishes he was swimming instead of sitting in that chair, so let’s give him something to watch. Then I’d do 10 back handsprings in a row, 5 back flips, and finishing with a string of walkovers. My friends would get out of the pool and sit in the sun shaking their heads. Can you tell that I was the rambunctious one of my friends? Don’t even get me started on what I talked them into during high school. My mom might read this so we’ll have to keep that one under wraps for now.
Lifeguards like it hot and wet.
                                                             
Fast forward ten years and I was the lifeguard in the chair, still marveling at the glistening sunlight electrifying the pool with energy. The tables were turned and I was the one watching the kids wishing I was in the pool. During my breaks I couldn't resist getting in the water and if it wasn't crowded I’d take to the diving well where I would practice my no handed handstands and all my anti gravity tricks. It is here where the blend of gymnastics and swimming became fully developed into my own quirky blend of swimnastics.  

A bit of heaven in my own backyard -- just add kids!
                         
At the time I thought it was the best job in the world and pitied my future self who had to stay inside and work. In some ways I do envy that woman. But now that I have a pool of my own and lifeguard my beautiful blondie children and the many friends who come to enjoy my little piece of heaven, I think she’d envy me.



Connect With Me

When I'm not working on Stealing Time you can find me on my social media at the links below. I hope to have my novel completed by winter 2014 with book two close behind. Stop by and tell me what your heaven is.

20 comments:

  1. Lovely, Karen, and lovely pics too! I do know what you mean - when I see the sea I always run towards it, I can't help it; I'm always drawn to the water! Mostly, I'm jealous that you're a SWIM-TASTIC SWIM-NASTIC sort of person! Um..... I can't swim! Now, about this hurricanes novel.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry. So maybe we need a beach vaca together and I can teach you how to swim in the hotel pool! Yes, I'm working on the novel and my next blog post will be the prologue so stay tuned!!

      Delete
  2. First!

    Ah, water.

    Cool, clear, water.

    Good post, KJ. There's a special beach somewhere, with your name on it. Waiting for you.

    GA @AgeORestoration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GA! Yes, the beach is called Astwood Cove in Bermuda, but we can call it Blondie beach if you like. Appreciate your post and all of your encouragement. You're a great friend!

      Delete
  3. Pretty pictures! The closest "beach" to me is big old Lake Michigan. I love it there. Hey, speaking of us being twins... I saw in your bio that you went to State finals in track. Me too! I went three years in a row in the 100m dash. What did you run? (or jump as the case may be)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd definitely take Lake Michigan any day! Wow, look at you the track star! I was in the 2 mile relay my junior year. May have my senior year if we hadn't kept changing coaches. The new guy didn't really know what he was doing and I was not happy unlearning good track form. That's very impressive! Thanks for checking out the blog! Appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Posted on Facebook:

    A favorite of ours from Twitter - Blondie returns to the water with a look back down memory lane. In a candid explanation of the joy and pleasures that water brings to her, KJ's words spin and twirl through the page much like her through the water. And pay attention to the captions under her photos - it is here that her wit shines through giving you a glimpse of the levels she is capable of diving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, how the heck did I get so lucky to find you? Wow, love this. You actually put this on your Facebook. Truly honored! Thank you, thank you!

      Delete
  6. I love this blog post minus one small issue. I look outside and see the wind whipping through the trees reminding me it's only April in Michigan! Gah!

    Haha, beautiful pics. Whenever I need a break from the cold I'll stop over here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirkus! So appreciate you stopping by for a dip in the mermaid infested pool!! Next time you're freezing cold and need a warm up stop on by! You can visit the Bermuda blog too if you get tired of the pool.

      Please don't forget to torture me with your cool Michigan evenings in August because I'll be sweating to death by then.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much! I appreciate your comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful words. And honestly, I feel very similarly about water as you do. Being at the beach, listening to the waves hammer the shoreline... total bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A kindred spirit! Love it Kevin. Thanks so much for stopping by.and commenting!

      Delete
  9. The water supports me, lifts my spirit, washes away my worries, soothes my hurts, and purifies my soul. pool service nj

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! I’m at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone 3gs! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the excellent work!
    https://autoketing.com
    Discount master by autoketing
    Discount master app

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete